Although small when it formed, by February of 1889, the Arkansas Equal Suffrage Association had grown significantly. The Little Rock chapter now boasted sixty-seven members including some gentlemen whose wives refused to join.
Initially meeting at the homes of members, that year Association President Clara McDiarmid donated the use of a suite of rooms in her new brick building on Markham, one of the busiest thoroughfares of the city. This was now considered state headquarters with a new branch of the organization in Hot Springs with ten members and another in Conway which paid dues on eight members.
To learn more about Arkansas women and the suffrage movement, visit ARvotesforwomen.com.