Alexandria Brown

News Intern

Alexandria Brown is a Douthit scholar and intern for KUAR News. She will graduate from the University of Arkansas at Little Rock in 2022 in hopes of being a multimedia reporter.

Alexandria has written for UA Little Rock's website and the student newspaper, The Forum. Alexandria is interested in reporting on events and issues surrounding culture, Arkansas news, education, and the human experience. In her spare time, she enjoys being around family and friends, running, and writing.

An electric vehicle charging station in Jacksonville, Florida. Arkansas will be launching a program next month that will lead to more than 200 charging stations being placed around the state.
Bill Bortzfield / WJCT News

Arkansas is launching two programs that will expand the number of electric vehicle charging stations throughout the state. $2 million from the Volkswagen Mitigation Trust Fund is going toward providing more than 200 charging stations.

Becky Keogh, secretary of the Arkansas Department of Energy and Environment, says the grant will pay for infrastructure and incentivize private and public investments to leverage their funds.

One dose of the vaccine is shown during a press conference Monday at the Arkansas Department of Health.
Michael Hibblen / KUAR News

An estimated 443,000 additional Arkansans will be eligible to begin getting vaccinated for the coronavirus next week as the state moves into the next phase of inoculations. This group will include educators and those who are over the age of 70.

But many people are hesitant to get vaccinated because of potential side effects. UAMS said last week that among employees surveyed recently, 30% said they were reluctant to get a vaccine. Some people have also wondered if an employer can require them to get a vaccine.

Lines of cars go through a triage center Monday at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences in Little Rock for people to be tested for the coronavirus. A spokeswoman says the average wait time has been three to four hours, with about 500 people tes
Michael Hibblen / KUAR News

A study is underway by the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences on who is being infected in the state by the coronavirus. Researchers are using blood samples from a control group to better understand how widespread the virus has become.

Early results suggest 3.5% of Arkansas residents have been infected. The study also shows minority groups across the state are disproportionately impacted.

Vendors were setting up for last year's Arkansas State Fair on Oct. 8, 2019. While the fair is not be taking place this year, people can still come to the state fairgrounds this weekend to enjoy eating traditional fair favorites.
Michael Hibblen / KUAR News

The Arkansas State Fair is one of many events that have been canceled because of the coronavirus pandemic. But an alternate event is being hosted this weekend at the state fairgrounds where people can eat their favorite fair foods.

The fair's Director of Sales and Promotions Will Hornburg said he wanted to have an event where people could come out and enjoy food, while also giving vendors the opportunity to generate business since they’ve been severely impact by the outbreak.

Like other events, this year’s Six Bridges Book Festival is being held online because of the coronavirus pandemic. Events begin Thursday, instead of the original schedule for April 23-26. Organized by the Central Arkansas Library System, it features 11 days of events.

Festival Coordinator Brad Mooy says there will be a wide range of discussions that will be streamed live and online, with only one in-person event. There will be 75 presenters, with 61 of those being authors. A game hour and an edible book contest are also being incorporated in this year’s festival.

Jay Barth
Michael Hibblen / KUAR News

The Little Rock School District and the city announced Wednesday that four elementary schools will become part of a new “community schools” model. Little Rock Chief Education Officer Jay Barth made the announcement in a short video posted online. He also spoke with KUAR News about what’s planned. 

Arkansas could lose billions of dollars in future federal funding because of a new 2020 census deadline. On Thursday, a federal judge extended a temporary restraining order that was to expire that day to Sept. 24 because the government had not produced all documents requested by the court.

On Aug. 3, U.S. Census Bureau Director Steven Dillingham announced the deadline for states to accept responses is now Sept. 30, a full month earlier than the original deadline.